A product key or the activation code is the most important part of using a licensed product. This product key makes sure that you have purchased the Norton antivirus software legally. It is a 25 digit code which is a must to redeem the software and use it for the first time. If you do not have this key, you might not be able to use the software ever. But many users have reported that I have a product key but it is not working.
If you are using the product key for the first time at Norton.com/setup, then it should work normally. In case you are having any trouble, then there might be some problem with the product key. For resolving the product key related problems, you may continue reading the article further. In this document, I have listed some of the commonly faced problems with the Norton product key along with the solutions to fix them.
Norton product key problems and solutions
Problem 1- Message “Invalid Product Key”
This message usually appears when you have made some mistake while typing the product key. Apart from this, you may see this message if you are using the product key for the wrong product.
- Verify that you are typing the product key in the same manner as it is given. As the product key case-sensitive, it will not work if you make any spelling mistakes.
- Ensure that the product key you are entering at norton.com/setup is for that particular product.
- Ensure that you are using the correct Norton account with which the product key is registered.
- Make sure you are using the most recent version of Norton software. If not, then you must update it immediately.
Problem 2- Error “The product key entered is not valid for this product. (-2012)”
As the error code suggests that the product key you are using to activate particular Norton software is invalid, then it means there is something wrong with the Norton product key you are using.
- First of all, go to ‘Settings’ and then select ‘Apps/Applications’.
- When a list of applications opens, tap on the name of your Norton product e.g. Norton Security.
- Further, click ‘Clear Data’ followed by ‘Clear Cache’.
- Now exit the ‘Settings’ window and open the Norton product.
- Enter the product key and see if it works.
Problem 3- Message “Revoked Product Key: Your product key has been canceled and is no longer valid”
This error message appears on a user’s screen when the product key he is using was reported to be stolen. You may see it in case somebody has obtained the product key through fraudulent means and then sold it to you.
Solution for entire issues
Although there is no specific solution to fix this issue, you may take certain precautions when you go out to purchase a Norton product. One should make sure that he purchases the product key from an authorized dealer. If you have purchased it from a retail store, then you may try contacting the retailer to provide you a valid and working product key. Those who have purchased it via the online means i.e. Norton Online Store, Symantec or an authorized reseller, then you may connect with Norton support executives to fix these issues.
Note: Visit official site for Total guide of Norton product key errors
One should be extra careful while purchasing the product key with which an activation code is accompanied. A little ignorance while purchasing the product can lead you into big trouble. Hence, you should always purchase the product key from an authorized seller and use it before its expiration.