You must be wondering what Norton SONAR is? Do not worry! It’s just a simplification of Symantec Online Network for Advanced Response of norton.com/setup. This provides real-time protection against threats that lurk around us in various hidden forms. Along with this, it also proactively detects as well as removes unknown security risks.
Having Norton SONAR protection available on your computer system, you can easily identify the threats which are about to hit your computer and infect it with viruses. To do so, it keeps a check on the behavior of applications which is not the case with traditional signature-based threat detection. Additionally, it detects the presence of malicious codes even before it is checked by the LiveUpdate feature of Norton.
To exterminate threats even before they can prove to be unsafe for your system, you should never turn off the Norton SONAR Protection. When the Auto-Protect feature is not turned on, then your computer is not protected against emerging threats.
Steps to Check if the Norton SONAR Protection is Enabled
- Open your PC and tap on the “Norton” icon.
- Navigate to the “My Norton” window which is available next to “Device Security” and open it by clicking on the “Open” option.
- From the window that appears now, hit the “Settings” tab.
- Here, click on “Antivirus”. You will be redirected to the “Automatic Protection” tab which is visible under the “Real-Time Protection”.
- After this, drag the switch which is available next to the “Norton SONAR Protection” towards the “On” position.
- Click on the “Apply” option to save the changes that you have made.
Also, note that in case you turn off the “Norton SONAR Protection” for even a moment, the protection features will not work. Doing this will make your PC vulnerable to threats and viruses. If the Protection feature is disabled, you can configure the duration for how long it is to stay turned off. After you make changes in the settings, do not forget to tap on “OK” to retain the settings.
Steps to View the Risks Detected by Norton SONAR
- Open your computer system and look for the Norton” icon and click on it to open it.
- When you are redirected to the “My Norton” window click on the “Open” option. You can easily find it next to the Device Security tab.
- From the main window of Norton, double-click on the “Security” tab followed by “History”.
- In the drop-down menu, click on “Norton SONAR Activity”.
- If the list displays the found risks, tap on it to know more about it.
- Follow the actions which are recommended to you via the norton.com/setup “Details” panel.
This is how Norton SONAR is used to detect and exterminate viruses.