National Cyber Safety Awareness Month has just begun in October. So it is the perfect time to learn about its theme and how should we imply it in our lives. One must remember that we should not imply these practices only in this exceptional month but every day of the year. This year’s theme is “Own IT. Secure IT. Protect IT.” which leaves the gates of our mind to many thoughtful things one needs to understand.
This theme has been set by keeping in mind the need to have strategic planning to help you stay safe and secure online. It is important to give a thought to the fact that your online activities might land you in a troublesome situation or might impact your online or social life negatively. So without wasting much time, let us have a look at how one can help himself in staying safe in the world of the web.
National Cybersecurity Guiding Principles for IT users
When we talk about the word “Own IT”, it means you are the one who is responsible for your privacy when you surf the web. To “Own IT” you need to follow certain guidelines, which are as follows:
- Since we all know that social media is a platform where people are sharing their personal information as well as images, hence we should stay extra careful while sharing the personal details of our lives on such platforms.
- Try to limit the information you share. It is suggested that you do not share any information which includes your address, contact details, or any such stuff.
- Using complex passwords can also be a solution to tighten your online privacy.
- Check and update the privacy settings for websites or applications such as Amazon, Spotify, eBay, e-commerce websites, mobile retailing websites, etc.
- Cross-check the popularity and reviews of the apps before downloading them.
This probably means taking preventive measures so that you can keep your devices and your personal information away from hackers. Here’s how you can do that:
- Always consider strong and unique passwords that nobody could guess and use a password that contains a combination of at least 12 alphanumeric characters. For this, you can consider an effective Password Manager.
- Keep updating your privacy settings as mentioned before.
- Practice caution whenever you use e-commerce websites for shopping purposes because there you need to provide your personal and financial information.
- Avoid using public networks whenever accessing any sensitive information or sharing your financial details.
- Do not click on any suspicious links or emails and also secure your data by using a VPN.
This means having technical protections whenever you surf the web. For serving this purpose, do the following:
- Always give propriety to updating your antivirus or any other software.
- Whenever you update your software, your Wi-Fi settings and VPN are also updated which is much needed for staying safe online.
In order to ensure your online safety, you must practice caution and use these guidelines in a proper manner. If you do not follow these guidelines, you might be giving way to hackers to hack into your system. If you want to know more, you can visit Norton.com/setup.